During the later months of 1915, a gas mask consisting of a leather facepiece with eyepieces and a metal canister was issued to the German army. The facepiece was impregnated qith tallow and oil to make it gas-proof, the eyepieces were compound, with am outer glass lens and an inner lens of celluloid treated to prevent misting, and the canister contained layers of absorbant materials – charcoal. pumice and kieselguhr – mixed with various chemicals to filter and absorb the gases.
I’ve been drawing the masks I found in a thrft store book Gas. This is the third in a series. See them all here.
The lazy cat Mew doing what she does best: sleeping.
I haven’t been posting much lately because I’ve kinda been in an artistic rut of sorts. Today is apparently Drawing Day, so I figured I’d force myself to get something down on paper. I’ve been doing this little drawing exercise when I’m in a rut where I will pick out a random Pictionary card and draw one of the things on it. It gets me drawing, and stuff I usually don’t draw too. Here’s two I did today.
So I got the post title there as a comment on the wordpress.com version of my site, which I left up and just put a link to the new lifewithouttaffy.com site you’re looking at now. The comment was left on a silly little picture of Batman I did last year. See the original post here. I don’t know if ‘Nikki’ was looking at something else when he/she thought that it looked more like me than Batman, and that it was gayyyy. Gay with 4 y’s. That’s real gay apparently. So, by popular demand, here’s a picture of me as a gayyyy Batman. Enjoy.
Another mask from the Gas book.
A much cartoonier version of H.I. from my comick No Outlet
A look at a recent commisioned piece that I’ve been working on for a while:
The idea was to do a medical illustration type thing. The pencils:
The inking probably took the longest out of any of it:
A picture of me with the artwork to give an idea of the size of the piece:
Throw some lettering and some watercolors on it. And blood. Some of my actual blood, and this is what you get. From the start to finish it was a little over 1o hours of work and I think it turned out pretty dang good.